Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mister we could use a man Like Herbert Hoover again.

Me - Dad, how do you feel about Herbert Hoover?
Dad - Hmm. I don't know what I think about him. I don't think he was a good president.
Mom - They named a dam after him.
Dad - They don't say much about him in history. I don't think he was any good.

I'm sitting in my parents' living room tonight, trying to be around people. Summer can be a dangerous thinking time for me. I learned that the hard way, somewhere around 6th or 7th grade. But I digress. My dad is in his recliner, my mother in her chaise, an I am on the couch between them. Mom is playing a mindless game on her laptop, occasionally glancing at me, especially when I sigh. My dad hasn't looked up from the movie on his laptop in 15 minutes. This is how it is often times when I'm here. I glance back and forth, wondering why. Why do they choose this? I love my parents a lot, but their lives seem boring as hell to me. But they enjoy it. They enjoy sitting in the room together, sitting in silence. I often times wonder how they go together; I've wondered it for years. My mom tells me it's because they committed themselves to each other in front of God, for forever. So I suppose if this way works for them, then that's great. I hope I never spend my Saturday nights sitting in silence, emotionally connected only to a flip screen, a keyboard, and a set of ear plugs. Perhaps someday it will work for me too. But not today.

I came to visit them. I was under the assumption that most normal humans engage in light conversation when called upon. I was mistaken in this case. Of course, my father went through his usual list of questions.. "What did you do today?" "Have you eaten?" "Do you know how so and so did in their class? Someone at the store said they failed." But after griping about the Russian Dating Site pop-up, whistling the introductory tune to All In the Family, and muttering a few other unintelligible things to himself, he settled in for his movie.

" A good many things go around in the dark besides Santa Claus." -Herbert Hoover

2 Comments:

At May 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder too. I look at mine and think the same thing. Fun Fact: Troy and Nita met for the first time in February and married in June. Something must have clicked. Mom's best friend at the time said they wouldn't last 3 months, check it 51 years later.

 
At June 3, 2010 at 7:07 AM , Blogger The Persistant Observer said...

And got married on Friday 13! U may not be much into superstitions, but Stevie Wonder taught me well!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home